Take Two

When we left Dover Harbor this morning to head to the start, it was a bit foggy. But, as we got closer to where I was going to start – Samphire Hoe, the fog had settled in and we couldn’t see 50 feet beyond the boat.  At one point we were about 100 yards away from a very tall wall with lights on it and we couldn’t see it at all. For safety, the boat pilot aborted the swim start and we came back to the harbor.

Because the swim is hugely dependent on the tides and timing the start in connection with the tide, the only two options were to wait until this afternoon and swim through the night tonight or to try again tomorrow morning. I elected to wait until tomorrow morning. We will meet the boat again around 4:00 a.m. and my start time will be the same, around 4:30 a.m. Friday (or 11:30 p.m. EDT Thursday night).

While I’m a bit disappointed, my boat pilot made the right call. The swim has to start from dry land – which means that I would have jumped off the boat and had to swim to shore in the dark and the dense fog.  Since we couldn’t see the beach, I certainly would have been unable to see the boat from the shore (even with the lights on it).

Sorry this was a bit of a false start!  But, please continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers and we will “give it another go” tomorrow morning!

Now, we are back to bed for an early morning nap.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in English Channel, Triple Crown, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Take Two

  1. Hope you make it tomorrow. Charlie Rowe sends good wishes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s